Pancreatic cancer affects the tissues of the pancreas. The pancreas is located in the lower portion of the abdomen, and it is primarily responsible for digestion and controlling the glucose in the body. This type of cancer is fatal since it is not readily detectable in the early stages. So, it spreads to other body parts rapidly, without the knowledge of the patient.
Diet to be followed by patients suffering from pancreatic cancer
Treatment of pancreatic cancer and the disease itself cause a lot of changes in a person’s eating habits. They also lead to various stomach problems and kill the desire to eat. So, it is necessary to take a diet chart from the doctor and adhere to it as far as possible.
Foods to avoid
- Since this cancer affects the digestive system, it is advisable to avoid foods that take time to digest. Some examples of these foods are spicy food, fried food, and red meat.
- The pancreas is responsible for controlling the sugar levels in the body, and when it is affected, the insulin levels get disturbed. So, it is better to avoid sugar and sweet dishes. Additionally, these foods are not easy to digest and are low on nutritional value.
- Avoid processed meat as it contains a high quantity of sodium. Sodium, which is used as a preservative, is not good for anyone suffering from a chronic disease. Studies have revealed that consuming processed meat also makes the body more susceptible to pancreatic cancer.
- Do not drink aerated drinks and packed juices. These drinks and juices contain added flavors and a high quantity of sugar, which are not suitable for cancer patients. Additionally, some students have found that the consumption of aerated drinks and the risk of pancreatic cancer are directly correlated.
Foods to eat
- Have foods that are easy to digest. As already explained earlier, since pancreatic cancer affects the digestive system’s functionality, it is good to consume foods that are easily digestible.
- Foods that contain a high level of protein are good for patients with cancer. Protein aids in repairing cells and tissues. It also enhances the functioning of the immunity system and boosts the body’s ability to fight infections. So, patients with pancreatic cancer should opt for protein-rich foods like soy foods, beans, almonds, egg while, low-fat dairy product, and lean meats like chicken and turkey.
- Foods containing whole grains are also good for patients. Whole grains provide carbohydrate and fiber, which increase energy levels. Some essential sources of whole grains are oatmeal, slices of whole wheat bread, brown rice, and whole grain pasta
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables. These foods contain a lot of antioxidants that can help fight the symptoms of cancer. So, include at least 4 to 5 servings of different fruits in the daily diet.
It is advisable to consult a doctor before making any changes in the diet.